Welcome to The Tuna Melt Music Sharity Blog!

It is here that I post old records that I've ripped
to Mp3 format (and grouped in .ZIP files) via File Sharing Sites,
album cover scans and, sometimes,
somewhat coherent ramblings related to said shares.

Most of the items shared are rips of Out-of-Print
(or, at least, very difficult to acquire)
Vinyl Records from my own collection,
or Compilations ("Seasonal" or "Genre-Specific") made up of Mp3 files
either digitally collected or ripped from Compact Disk.

Come on in. Look around.
Scroll downward to find available links.
I hope you find something you like.

If you don't,
you can always come back later, as the variety
of what is made available should be pretty wide-ranging.


Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Fred Lowery: Walking Along Kicking the Leaves


Whistle While You… Well… Whatever.


It's not every day you get to hear music like this anymore. Unless, that is, you live somewhere where they play The Andy Griffith Show on a daily schedule (which is, pretty much, everywhere in the United States) or if you go out of your way to watch videos of The Harlem Globetrotters as often as possible. Even then you don't get to hear this guy (The Andy Griffith Show theme song was whistled by it's primary composer, Earle Hagen, and the Whistled version of "Sweet Georgia Brown" used by the Globetrotters was originally performed by Brother Bones). Still… This fella was The King of the Whistlers.

I've no idea how many albums Fred Lowery recorded over his career but there were a lot (Pop, Gospel, Holiday…)! This was his first solo album and is largely regarded as a masterpiece. Unfortunately the greatest source of information on Whistling Records in the whole world, The Online Guide to Whistling Records (http://www.whistlingrecords.com) is currently under reconstruction. The Space Age Pop site offers a tremendous Fred Lowery biographical sketch here: http://www.spaceagepop.com/lowery.htm

In the meantime I didn't want to hold this one back. It's a kind of music that really doesn't exist in today's Pop Culture. It's a record of someone doing something that we all do just about every day of our lives, but doing it so much better than the rest of us that it demands our attention, our respect and our enjoyment.

Mr. Lowery appeared in an "assembly" program at my High School once. I wish now that we'd shown him more respect and paid a bit more attention to his talent. Even as it was, simply hearing him perform was impressive and I'm glad that I learned who he was that day. It inspired me to buy this record and that's a good thing.

  1. Walking Along (Kicking the Leaves)
  2. Indian Love Call
  3. Tennessee Waltz
  4. Far Away Places
  5. The Moon of Manakoora
  6. Sunrise Serenade
  7. Happy Hobo
  8. Pagan Love Song
  9. The Lonesome Road
  10. Sleepy Lagoon
  11. Moon Love
  12. Sentimental Journey

7 comments:

doug said...

Traitor Vic,
I tried to reply to your email, but it didn't go through. The TOPS record you mentioned is the one. I used to listen to it a lot way back when I had the LP. Thanks.
Bassooner.

Traitor Vic said...

Hot diggity, Doug! Glad it's the one I've got. Sorry 'bout the missing two songs. If I ever stumble across a copy of this baby I'll post it in full. For now, though, here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/89777987/HawFav.zip

Anonymous said...

I have an 'album' of 78's of Fred Lowery on Columbia Records, probably from the late 30's or so - haven't been able to track down the date. The tunes are: The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise, Whisle-Itis, Indian Love Call, I Love You Truely, Tumbling Tumbleweeds, Leaning On The Ol' Top Rail, Estrellita and Whispering. I've ripped them to mp3 but they're rather 'hissy' and 'scratchy' and if I EQ them, they get really muddy.
Just thought you might have an interest in knowing that there are a few people who have heard or this amazing talent.

Anonymous said...

I have an 'album' of 78's of Fred Lowery on Columbia Records, probably from the late 30's or so - haven't been able to track down the date. The tunes are: The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise, Whisle-Itis, Indian Love Call, I Love You Truely, Tumbling Tumbleweeds, Leaning On The Ol' Top Rail, Estrellita and Whispering. I've ripped them to mp3 but they're rather 'hissy' and 'scratchy' and if I EQ them, they get really muddy.
Just thought you might have an interest in knowing that there are a few people who have heard or this amazing talent.

Traitor Vic said...

Very cool! Hopefully the Online Guide to Whistling Records will get up and runnin' someday and you can find out all of the specifics about it. In the meantime... the Whistling Records section at Basic Hip's Digital Gold has 10 Fred Lowery records available on CD at http://www.basichipdigitalgold.com/whistling/whistling.htm

The record "Whistling for You" looks to be a reissue of the one you have. Worth every penny, I'd say...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your response and additional info. I visited Basic Hip's at your suggestion and was amazed at the variety and availability of this genre! The 'Whistling For You' indeed looks like the LP re-issue of my set and I'm considering it even though there's esthetic value listening to the 78's. Thanks again.
Great blogspot, by the way.
-Dave

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm trying to get a copy of "Walking along and kicking the leaves." For my father. I need it quickly as he is dying from lung cancer. Anyone who can help me with this Please let me know. Thank you!
Katrina A katerhead@hotmail.com