Welcome to The Tuna Melt Music Sharity Blog!

It is here that I post old records that I've ripped
to Mp3 format (and grouped in .ZIP files) via File Sharing Sites,
album cover scans and, sometimes,
somewhat coherent ramblings related to said shares.

Most of the items shared are rips of Out-of-Print
(or, at least, very difficult to acquire)
Vinyl Records from my own collection,
or Compilations ("Seasonal" or "Genre-Specific") made up of Mp3 files
either digitally collected or ripped from Compact Disk.

Come on in. Look around.
Scroll downward to find available links.
I hope you find something you like.

If you don't,
you can always come back later, as the variety
of what is made available should be pretty wide-ranging.


Friday, April 25, 2008

Wayne Cochran: Wayne Cochran!


The Hardest Working White Man in Show Business!!!


Wayne Cochran was alternately known as "The White Knight of Soul" and "The White James Brown." Both names were perfectly accurate. He wore a pompadour that was larger, higher and wider than anything James (or even Esquerita, for that matter) had ever dreamed of. The flamboyance of his onstage outfits knew only the bounds of his wild-ass imagination. He put together, managed and directed an incredibly good, tight band of White musicians knowns as the C.C. Riders. And on top of all of that, he could sing like nobody's business. His was one of the best voices of Soul at a time when White People just didn't do that.

To claim that he was discriminated against by the "Soul Music" scene would be like claiming that Hank Ballard could have, if he had wanted to, joined The Augusta National Golf Club in 1963. It is important to note, though, the degree to which discrimination can eventually hurt everybody. Wayne Cochran and the C.C. Riders, though, were able to play some of the largest and most influential Black R&B clubs in the country and were always accepted and appreciated as the great band that they were.

Wayne, like Louis Prima, was also able to take Rock & Roll and Soul music in the Nightclubs where Lounge Music was usually played. He was always a big hit.

He became friends with Elvis, Ann-Margaret and Robert Conrad (having appeared in an episode of "Wild Wild West"). Conrad was inspired by Wayne and the Band to begin the creation of the 1970 film "C.C. Rider," which starred Joe Namath (as C.C. Rider) and Ann-Margaret and featured Wayne and the C.C. Riders in one scene.

Wayne attributes the inspiration for his Big Hair to two brothers, named Johnny and Edgar Winter, who were in a band called "It & Them" (further proof that Big Hair was, in fact, Not Invented at Hammerjacks!).

This really is a great soul album (almost more Bluesy than a lot of other soul records of the time). I would say I'm sad that I only have a Monophonic copy but I'd be lying. This sounds really fine to me.

Wayne Cochran: Wayne Cochran!

  1. Get Ready
  2. Boom Boom
  3. The Peak of Love
  4. You Don't Know Like I Know
  5. Some-A' Your Sweet Love
  6. I'm Leaving It Up to You
  7. You Can't Judge a Book By the Cover
  8. Big City Woman
  9. Little Bitty Pretty One
  10. I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man
  11. Get Down With It
  12. When My Baby Cries

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne also showed up once in a while on Jackie Gleason's show when it moved to Miami.

Traitor Vic said...

Ooh yeah! Thanks for pointing that out. I'd read about it, but I don't remember ever seeing him on it myself. Of course, I was pretty young at the time and probably saw a lot of things I don't remember.

Anonymous said...

Here via PCL:

When I saw this guy in the movie "CC and Company" I thought of the Tom Jones Live In Las Vegas album my parents would play at parties. Then I thought of Geno Washington and other touring soul revues and felt I had found the American equivalent. This guy, though, is a whole different kettle of pompadoured fish!
After some research I discovered the compilation album some of his early rockabilly tracks. Cindy Marie is a real stand out. I am convinced Terry Jacks took the opening riff for the Poppy Family's
"Beyond The Clouds"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B66PyrhFjs

I wrote about The White Knight here.
http://niddrie-edge.livejournal.com/111283.html

Anonymous said...

Many many thanks for this post. I've really, really missed the shows he used to give at the el Mocambo in Toronto. A Monday night was wilder than any other performer's Saturday night gigs.
all the best,
jim.

Anonymous said...

WOW !! WOW !!! I Grew up in South Florida and this guy played at a lot of the clubs I went too, Damn what a show he put on.. Lots of busty babes dancing in feathered outfits and him in a white sequin suit and the Hair !!!

Was a neat guy to meet in between sets too he loved his fans and would mingle with the crowd.

I have never seen any of his recordings available till your post.. THANKS THANKS

Deadguy

Anonymous said...

Great album. Thanks! W.